Tuesday, August 24, 2010

How did having a gay parent affect your own identity?

I have a gay dad. He came out when I was 12 and I am working on a personal essay (for teacher's college) for my ';Sociocultural Aspects of Schooling'; course. The assignment is to look at an event or issue in my life that has affected my own identity in-as-much as it will inevitably effect how I teach.





So I'm looking for others who have a gay parent to see how it affected their life. How did it change how you see the world? How did it affect your relationships %26amp; friendships? How does it augment the filter through which you experience life?How did having a gay parent affect your own identity?
In my situation my father never actually came 'out' and told us he was gay. I think I had a lot of resentment towards him and I still do. Putting aside that he was gay he decided that he didn't want to be actively involved in our lives. Deep down I think this may of been because he was gay. He made decisions that affected me greatly. In relationships I worry all the time that my partner is gay and I ask them time and time again if they are. Growing up it was difficult living in a small town, being made fun of, and it was the 80's where it wasn't OK to be gay. I think kids today may have a easier time because I feel like society is accepting people who are gay.


It is OK if you are gay but before you go and get married and have a family just come out so you don't ruin peoples lives. My poor mother loved my father dearly and he broke her heart more than you can possibly imagine!How did having a gay parent affect your own identity?
I don't have a gay parent, but I just thought maybe you could say that it made you more open to controversial issues like sexuality of others or made you more closed, depending on your specific circumstance
it made me gay
He is guilty..........not me!
  • dermalogica
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment