Saturday, August 21, 2010

What to do if parent refuses to pay for college?

After applying for financial aid, my private education cost was halved. However, my single-parent mother refuses to pay for the remaining tuition which stands at about $23,000 (I've already received a Stafford and Perkins loan from my school). Can I still apply for another Stafford loan? I don't know where to start in this process, and would like some insight or advice regarding this money situation. I'd like to exhaust my lowest cost options first; it's just that I simply don't know what my best options are. I'm still a minor, so I can't declare myself as an independent.





Any help would be greatly appreciated!What to do if parent refuses to pay for college?
I know it sounds harsh, but private education is a luxury--debatably better or worse if you look at student test scores. I say you go to a public school. If you're really smart anyway, your class rank will be even higher.





Good luck!What to do if parent refuses to pay for college?
Parents cannot always be counted on to pay for college.


1) look for the hundreds of extra ';small'; scholarships ($100-500) that are for anything from hobbies, essays, being left handed, red head, etc.


2) a PT or FT. That will mean less time for college and thus making it a 5 year education.


3) I would reccomend going to a public college. If you have your heart set on private school, see if that school will accept local college or junior college credits. Most public universities are a fraction of costs of private universities and getting all your basic math, english, history, and other general education classes out could save you 10-20%.


4) Use the AP or CLEP tests to pick off more credits. Tests vary from $40-150, but that is still cheaper than some textbooks.


5) If buying textbooks, buy used or from other students. If not going to use after the semester, sell the book to other students. A $100 new book, may be $70 used at the store, but you would only get $25-35 back. sell to a student for $50-60.


6) If possible, live at home or stay with a group of other relatives or friends. You will need to keep your cost of living down.
get a job or two. stafford loan amounts are limited so you cant get another stafford. if you have good credit, you may be able to get a private loan but the rates will not be very appealing. are you sure you want to continue to go to this school? you can only borrow so much per year and you could easily come out owing much more than you could comfortably pay back. you need to see your fin aid advisors at school. here is some bad news for you, you wont be independent until 24 years old-it is not 18 for fin aid.
Check with the schools financial aid dept. that is what they are there for. I know that my parents couldn't pay for school and I was able to go between grants and loans. Also, check out if the school offers scholarships or work study programs. Best of luck to you!
Ge a job and work hard for what you want, then make a deal for parents to pay at end of each year for expenses as a show of good faith on your part.
Is there a financial aid counselor at college that you can speak to? I'm sure they could point you in the right direction. If you aren't going to get any help from your mom, maybe you should consider going to a public university.

No comments:

Post a Comment